Sunday, November 23, 2008

close encounters of the best kind

One of the wonderful advantages of having already worked in the international development arena for several years before coming to Haiti for my grad school research is that I have a network of friends/former colleagues who actually end up coming down to Port-au-Prince on work-related visits.

I've gotten to see one of my best friend's husbands twice this last year - but missed his most recent visit last week because I was the one back in the USA. (G - I do actually count you as my friend now too!) I randomly ran into a DC-based friend-of-a-friend at a hotel bar here earlier this year and I have another fellow former WR'r who is coming down at the start of December with her latest job. Today though, I had an extra special visit with "Uncle" Ken - former WR chief microfinance guru who is here for a month-long consulting assignment. We met up for church and brunch with two of my newest favorite blans in Haiti - A and B - MCC volunteers who recently started a 3-year term in Port-au-Prince. Here are a couple photos for all my fellow Kenny G-fans:
I spent 8-18 November traveling back to Ithaca to work through some issues related to my research with one of my advisers. It was extremely helpful - but not quite as productive as I would have liked since I had a really bad sinus cold that knocked me out by 8 or 9 pm each night. It's still lingering around as I write this evening.

As always, I tried to maximize my time in the USA by seeing as many of my friends as I possibly could. Am thankful that a good number of them are still clustered on the east coast. I flew from Haiti to Philly to visit the lovely S family and pick up my car which they graciously watch over in order to drive to Ithaca. During my week in Ithaca I stayed with the other S family - the Philly-based S family's in-laws who have been gracious hosts and caretakers throughout my Cornell experience. I had too short but still lovely visits with four of my Ithaca gal pals, a few happy encounters with fellow nutrition grad students (who I must say are a pretty great group of people all around) but sadly missed the change to personally welcome the brood of babies that have been born to Ithaca friends over the last few months. I didn't want to pass along my nasty cold. They will likely be walking by the time I do actually get to meet them!

After Ithaca it was on to NYC for a very lovely weekend with my parents who flew into town just to see me. We wandered the city quite a bit - highlights include eating lots of good food, visiting the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side, picking up a couple books at the Strand, perusing ABC Carpet and Home (and then wondering if I should attempt to marry a plastic surgeon or bond trader so I can shop there one day) and taking in the new James Bond movie rather than trying for Broadway hot tix (a choice I do not regret). On Sunday, we met up with another set of dear friends (yet another S family) for church and after sending my parents off to the airport, I traveled uptown to Harlem for 24 hours with these S's before jet setting back to Haiti . (Sorry if any of you other lovely NYC-based folks read this and wonder why I didn't get in touch - my lingering cold kept me from going full speed. A la pwochenn - I promise).

Oh and I even got a bonus friend encounter along the way! As I was walking into baggage claim at the Philadelphia airport I heard someone calling my name. It was the C's - dear friends and fellow Chicagoans with Cornell connections. (We met in Ithaca but see each other each time I pass through the Windy City). They had also just arrived to the Philly airport in order to attend a family member's wedding. Despite my jet-lag, I was so thankful for such an unexpected encouragement that I captured it to share with the rest of you.

No comments: