Friday, September 26, 2008

Tumblon.com

I've had a link to the trial version of Tumblon.com posted on this blog for the last six months or so. The full Tumblon.com site is now up and running. I encourage you all to head over and take a tour of what it has to offer.

You may be asking yourself "Why is a very single woman with no children of her own promoting a website aimed at parents of kids age 0-5?" Well, let me assure you that it's not some strange almost 30-year-old's maternal fantasy in same spirit as the Christian college girl who buys wedding magazines even though she has never had a boyfriend.

Here's why:

1. Because it's a great idea....and a free one at that. At tumblon.com you can track your children's developmental milestones, receive suggestions on books, toys and activities that are right for their stage, share photos with family and friends and use a simple template to create a family blog.

2. Because I love and respect the people behind it. Tumblon.com was developed by my college friend Graham along with another classmate of ours, Jon. Graham spent several years as a elementary school teacher in the New York public schools before becoming a "stay-at-home" dad for the last 3 years.He is passionate about promoting healthy environments for child development - from improved educational opportunities to practical parenting advice. Graham also happens to be married to one of my dearest friends and fellow Rebecca who is currently doing a fellowship a behavioral and developmental pediatrics in NYC.

3. Because I'm now the kind-of-official Tumblon.com nutrition blogger. Every few days I'm posting about infant and young child nutrition at Something to Chew On, one of the three featured blogs on the Tumblon.com site. It's a fun way for me to bring together three of my favorite things - nutrition, writing and giving advice. Of course, I need all of my friends and loved ones with actual parental experience to read and give constructive feedback on my somewhat theoretical postings.

While you are there you should check out the other two featured blogs - Essential Questions by Graham on parenting, child development and education and Honey for a Child's Heart by Glady's Hunt - a grandmother and well known advocate in certain circles for the importance of literature in family life.

No comments: