Sunday, September 28, 2008

the trash can that changed my life



What do a trash can, a multifuction laster jet printer and 82 one-inch binders have in common? They are relatively small things that are making me very very happy these days. For the last 11 months I've been running across the large clinic compound each and every time I want to print a single page. I've been walking to the office next door to throw out my trash and since July, I've been cramming piles of data collection forms in two overstuffed binders. Those days are done.

It's so often the small things that can feel like the biggest victories here. I had been asking for a trash can since I arrived last October - but it never materialized until a week ago. Delivery of the 1-inch binders to hold each child's data forms required a month of almost daily visits to the clinic's purchasing department. Once I decided to buy it, the printer was a relatively quick acquisition. I carried it from Chicago a couple weeks ago but had to do a bit of negotiation / playing dumb at the customs counter to avoid paying crazy high taxes on it.

I can't believe how much better I feel about facing the work day knowing that things are just a little more organized and efficient. This should probably give me some hope for the future. If a trash can can change my life, who knows what something a little bigger might do?

No comments: