Sunday, September 20, 2009

a new (aademic) year’s resolution

”I shall not go out on weekends in Collegetown” That was the conclusion I came to this Saturday morning when I thought back on the previous night out with some friends from my program at one of two clubs where grad students tend to hang out.

Let’s face it, being out after midnight in a college town when you are 30+ is guaranteed to a) ignite your maternal instinct as you watch severely under-clothed girls stagger around on high heels, b) offend your olfactory system as something always smells like urine and c) just plain make you feel old. The most memorable point of the evening was when my indisputably hot friend (who is a year older than me but easily mistaken as being up to a decade younger than her actual age) and I were quite directly told that we are "past our prime" by a guy who couldn’t be much past than the 21-years-of-age minimum to enter the place. (Granted this is just after it had become obvious that his attempts to hit on her were not going to succeed).


While I know resolutions are made to be broken, I do anticipate that my “nightlife” this year is going to be limited to low-key dinner/game/movie nights. That's not really dramatic given that I hardly qualify as a party girl....but I am feeling a bit nostalgic for the excellent live music and fairly regular chances to dance (with people my age) in Port-au-Prince! Ce la vie!

No comments: