Friday, September 11, 2009

marvelous news from malawi

When I visited Malawi in July I was struck by the hopeful/positive attitude shared by many of the people I encountered. I thought it was just my perception of things in contrast to the widespread discouragement in Haiti....but today's NYT features an article about declining global child mortality rates. It showcases Malawi's effective efforts to build a network of community health workers that reaches families in rural zones. Through these and other efforts, under 5 mortality has been halved over the last 2 decades.

I've chosen a vocation where the news is not always so good... all the more reason to share it when it is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool, thanks for sharing - I knew several babies who died while I was in Malawi - glad to hear things are looking up! :)