Friday, September 28, 2007

What's in a name?


Some of you may be familiar with the iconic green and white bumper stickers and t-shirts from Ithaca, NY proclaiming that "Ithaca is gorges"....and it's true. The landscape around Cornell is speckled with deep ravines, lovely waterfalls and rolling green hills. Over the last 2 years, I have come to love this landscape - and the people it contains - despite the overwhelming number of days when the sun refused to shine in the sky .... or in the life of this graduate student.

Haiti too is a land of mountains and gorges - a beautiful country that reminds me most of Rwanda...but also in some ways of Ithaca. The peaks and valleys imagery also applies to Haiti's political history and current socio-economic realities - issues that I am only beginning to understand.

My Ithaca season has challenged me in unexpected but ultimately good ways and I trust that process will continue in Haiti. I am hopeful that down the road I will look back and sincerely say "Haiti is Gorges" too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling me about your blog. I bookmarked it and plan to check back often! Looking forward to hearing about your time!