Thursday, August 7, 2008

Asakivle at Cafe Presse

Last night we went to a very urban-hipster feeling place (aka my new favorite spot in Port-au-Prince) to hear a drumming group. They brought together pounding rhythms, chanting voices, and two fabulous fly-girl dancers into what was probably one of my favorite weeknights in Haiti to date. (The other was a Tuesday night concert I attended at the French institute back in 2006 which pretty much everyone who meets me here ends up hearing about sooner than later. ) Photos capture some of the energy but the video does a little more justice to the overall experience (ignore the camera turn and just listen). Unfortunately, neither of them will quite let you feel like you would have felt if you had been there. Maybe next time.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Aren't they amazing? Now imagine listening to their full group, sitting under a tree on a stone footbridge with your feet dangling in a cold creek. That may end up being 1 of my favorite times in Haiti!

-L

Winter Rae said...

Hi Rebecca--Was in a publicity crisis for Asakivle, and stumbled upon the pics from this blog. I used two of them in a flier for an UPCOMING show of theirs (two shows, actually), which I hope is alright with you.
Please get in touch if it's not ok, or actually just get in touch so I can tell you the time and place of the shows! (Number in Haiti is 31143097, email is winterrae@gmail.com).
Winter