Thursday, March 18, 2010

Back on the bike



It's been more than 2 years since I've ridden a bike - I attribute that to living in mountainous and congested Port au Prince but I do have some hardcore biking friends who brave the Haitian hills for their love of cycling. Ithaca is hilly enough to intimidate a Midwesterner - but definitely more bike friendly than my last place of residence. The spring weather this week inspired me to have a friend fix my bike so I can start to use it for my campus commute. I've got a long way to go before I am back in biking form but my goal is to participate in RAGBRAI this July. I read about this annual bike "race" across Iowa when I was an undergrad and put in on my life "to do" list. Ten years + later it seems about the right time to follow through. I'm trying to recruit a few fellow riders (for training in Ithaca and/or treking across Iowa) - so if you have the time and are up for the challenge/moving party let me know!

4 comments:

Alexis said...

WOOT! We're proud of you, girl. ;) Go conquer those hills.
p.s. Ragbrai is on mostly flat terrain so if you can do Ithica, you've got it made.

Alexis said...

Whoops, I mean IthAca

Kiem said...

Hi Rebecca - can you put me in touch with cyclists in Haiti? I am planning a trip there soon and am interested to find out if bike is feasible for certain legs of the trip. Thanks

Bex_78 said...

Kiem -Am just seeing your comment now, hope it's not too late... Get in touch with Lexi who commented above - you can link to their blog. Her husband bikes around Haiti all the time....