Monday, January 19, 2009

a weekendy weekend

Last weekend made me feel pretty optimistic about the way things can come together here. Friday night I attended a lovely baby dedication celebration for some Canadian friends who gave birth to their first son about a week ago here in Port-au-Prince. Then on Saturday morning my neighbor and I had one of the clinic drivers take us to a nice beach about an hour and a half north of the city. I unexpectedly ran into some friends of mine there and ended up spending the night with them in Saint Marc – a small dusty port town another hour up the road. We had a great time out with her Haitian colleagues - eating, drinking and dancing. I returned Sunday afternoon just in time to play some tennis with another group of people and then I capped of my whirlwind weekend by falling asleep on the couch watching The Wire. Lots of time with friends…and not a moment of work. An unusually active and fun weekendy-feeling weekend for me here.

No comments: