Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Layers of meaning

My personal computer has been out of comission for over a week. There have been a number of blog-worthy happenings since then but most of them involve sharing photos and so must wait until I get my Picasa program back up and running. It seems like a good time to share some of the Creole proverbs that I learned a few weeks ago in rural Haiti.

Kreyol is the Creole word for Haiti's local language. I usually describe it as what it sounds like French people are saying when heard by a non-French speaker (e.g. moi) with a number of words of African/English/ Spanish origin mixed in.

Creole's richness and complexity comes not so much from the words themselves but rather in the way they are combined to create meaning. When my urbanite Haitian friend heard a blan friend of mine using Creole proverbs in his daily speech she said that his Creole was more genuine than her's.... which is probably true. Literally speaking Creole is not the same as really speaking Kreyol.

I've plateued a bit in my own language learning now that I can speak enough to survive. I am hopeful that I will kickstart it again with some lessons sooner than later. Speaking and understanding Kreyol is essential to understanding Haiti.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Fanm potomitan la via. Women are the pillar of life.

Rayi chen me di dan'l blan. Hate the dog if you see white teeth. (I'm trying to remember the explanation for this one....I think it's to only hate if provoked e.g. dog is snarling at you.... but I could be wrong)

Yon sel dwat pa manje kalalo. One finger alone cannot eat okra.

Woch nan dlo pa konnen dule woch nan soley. The rock in the water does not know the pain of the rock in the sun.

Men anpil, chay pa lou. Many hands, load is not heavy. (Sound familiar?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love to you from Maryland - make sure you are taking good care of yourself!! You are doing wonderful work and we're all proud of you.

Aunt Patty

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, my favourite Kreyol pwoveb is "sak vid pa kanpe" or "the empty sack can't stand up". You're right, there are many layers of meaning.

Ellen